Single Molecule Workshop
27th International Workshop on
“Single Molecule Spectroscopy and Super-resolution Microscopy”
September 7 - 9, 2022, Berlin, Germany
Meet the single molecule community in Berlin!
It is a great pleasure to announce that the 27th edition of the Single Molecule Workshop will take place from September 7 – 9, 2022 as an in-person event. Note: contrary to most previuos years, the workshop will start already in the morning of Wednesday, September 7.
Additionally we will be hosting a free special event during the workshop. Check out the tab Special Event for more details.
As the health and safety of attendees, staff, and community are our top priorities, we will continuously monitor and asses current CoVID-19 developments on a regular basis.
We are looking forward to welcome you in Berlin this fall. Join us for an exciting and stimulating conference by either giving a talk, presenting a poster or even without any presentation. As always, we will be awarding a “Best Student Talk” prize worth 750 Euro.
Aim and purpose
The focus of PicoQuant’s long-standing workshop lies on ultrasensitive optical detection down to the single molecule level as well as beyond the classical diffraction limit. The event provides an interdisciplinary platform for exchanging ideas and recent results between researchers and professionals working in the fields of physics, chemistry, biology, life and materials science.
During the workshop, talks and posters are presented that cover a wide range of applications and methods revolving around the challenging field of Single Molecule Spectroscopy.
Covered topics include:
- Fluorescence Lifetime Imaging (FLIM)
- Single molecule Förster Resonance Energy Transfer (smFRET)
- Polarization and Anisotropy based techniques
- Quantitative imaging methods
- New fluorescence sensors and labeling schemes
- Fluorescence Correlation Spectroscopy (FCS) and Fluorescence Lifetime Correlation Spectroscopy (FLCS)
- Stimulated Emission Depletion (STED) microscopy
- Single Molecule Localization Microscopy (e.g., PALM, STORM, dSTORM, GSDIM, PAINT)
- Open source data analysis solutions
- Big Data and Machine Learning approaches to superresolution and single molecule techniques
Both widefield and confocal fluorescence microscopy techniques are covered as well as in vivo and in vitro measurements with single molecule sensitivity.
- Deadline for abstract submission: June 24, 2022
- Deadline for early bird registration: June 24, 2022
- Deadline for fee waiver application: June 24, 2022
- Deadline for post deadline abstracts (posters only): August 7, 2022
- Final deadline for workshop registration: August 7, 2022
- Notification on acceptance of abstracts: mid/end of July 2022
- Program available: end of July 2022
As nurturing young scientists is important to PicoQuant, we host a competition for the “Best Student Talk” with an award worth 750 Euro. Undergraduate and graduate students were invited to submit their contributions.
Submission is now closed.
Conference on Single Molecule Spectroscopy at BiOS 2023
Within the Biomedical Optics Symposium BiOS, PicoQuant is co-organizing the special conference "Single Molecule Spectroscopy and Superresolution Imaging XVI" (BO503). Exciting presentations with the latest findings and developments can be expected.
As a special motivation for young researchers, PicoQuant is presenting the "Young Investigator Award" as part of this conference. Young scientists (age 30 or below and not yet full faculty members) are encouraged to participate in this best paper competition, which offers a $750 USD cash award. For more details and submissions, please go to the BiOS website.
Next workshop (preliminary date)
- September 13-15, 2023
Workshop coordinator: Jana Bülter and Claudia Bergemann
Please note: schedule and content of this event is subject to change without notice.
Save the date!
We will be hosting a free, special event during the workshop. During this event you can get a first look at our latest solution for easily exploring new paths in confocal microscopy with confidence.
Attending this special in-person event is free of registration fees not only for attendees of our Single Molecule Workshop, but also for everyone.
Stay tuned, as we will reveal more information in July 2022!
Invited speakers and their tentative titles
- Sophie Brasselet
Institut Fresnel, France
"Polarized single molecule orientation localization microscopy"
- Ulrike Endesfelder
Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms University Bonn, Germany
"Visualizing cellular life: From single cell imaging to in vivo single-molecule biochemistry and (micro-)biology"
- Enrico Gratton
University of California Irvine, California, USA
- Mike Heilemann
Goethe University Frankfurt am Main
"Integrative Super-resolution Fluorescence for Structural Cell Biology"
- Stefan Jakobs
Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Göttingen, Germany
"Focusing on Mitochondria"
- Dong Li
Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
"Multi-modality structured illumination super-resolution microscopy development and applications"
- Gail McConnell
University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, United Kingdom
"Prospects for single molecule mesoscopy with the Mesolens"
- David Walt
Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
"Precision Medicine by Counting Single Molecules"
Abstract submission for oral presentations is closed.
Post deadline abstracts for poster presentations only are still possible: deadline for submissions is August 7.
- Abstracts can be submitted for contributed (talks and/or) poster presentations
- Abstracts can only be submitted along with a registration for the workshop
- Abstracts must be submitted in English and be no longer than 200 words (body text) with no graphics
- Abstracts will be made available to workshop participants through the online program overview and the abstract book. If you do not want to have your abstract displayed in the online program overview, please please indicate so during the registration process
- Notification on acceptance of abstracts will occur in mid/end of July 2022.
The program of the Single Molecule Workshop will be published online by the end of July 2022. The workshop will run from the morning of Wednesday September 7, 2022 to the afternoon of Friday September 9, 2022.
|until June 24, 2022||June 25, 2022 until August 7, 2022|
|Academic/University||340 €||390 €|
|Industry and Private Sector||750 €||950 €|
Besides full workshop attendance, the fee includes coffee breaks, a reception with food and drinks, and two lunches. Attendees will be responsible for their own travel, lodging, and additional meals.
Please note the terms and conditions
- For payment you can choose between credit card (Visa, Master Card) and bank transfer. Possible bank charges have to be paid by the participant. Please note, that we do not accept checks.
- After online registration, you will receive an email notification including a PDF file that includes information on the payment procedure.
- All payments have to be received within 14 days after date of registration.
- We will send an email confirming your participation once we have received your payment. If payment is overdue, your registration will not be processed and considered invalid.
- A receipt of payment will be included in our email confirmation of participation.
- Cancellation of registration must be submitted in writing or via email and is valid only with
acknowledgment of receipt by PicoQuant GmbH. A refund of registration fees is dependent
on the notice given:
- For cancellations made until August 7, 2022, 75 % of the registration fee will be reimbursed. In case of cancellations after August 7, 2022, 25 % of the registration fee will be reimbursed.
- It is possible to name and send a substitute participant.
- No visa letters will be issued until payment of the registration fee is received and confirmed.
- Schedule and content of this event is subject to change without notice.
- PicoQuant records photographs and video material (including audio) of participants at the events. By registering for a PicoQuant event, you agree that we may include pictures or video material of yourself (either as a full image or in parts) for promotional purposes in various publications (press releases, promotional activities, event website, social media, etc.). If you do not want us to use pictures or video material in which you appear, please inform us in written form.
PicoQuant has a fee waiver program for a small number of participants from universities or academic sector. Accommodation, travel, and personal expenses still need to be paid by the participants themselves. The selection of sponsored people is completely the sole decision of PicoQuant and there is no right or guarantee to receive a fee waiver.
The deadline to apply for a fee waiver has passed. We can no longer accept any fee waiver applications.
Registration and abstract submission (Poster only)
The workshop will be held in the science and technology park of Berlin-Adlershof, located in the south-eastern part of Berlin, not far from the Schönefeld Airport.
Carl-Scheele-Straße 6 / Max-Born-Straße
Local area map showing the symposium location (red marker)
We have negotiated special rates for a limited number of rooms in several hotels/appartment block, located close to the workshop location. The number of rooms as well as booking time are limited and we therefore advise to reserve your room as soon as possible.
Hotels within walking distance to the workshop location
- single room: 78.40 € (excl. breakfast)
Breakfast is available for 12 € per day and person at the hotel‘s catering partners in walking distance. It can be booked directly through the hotel.
Wireless LAN is included in the room price.
Booking code: WS27
Please book your room via e-mail or phone using the booking code.
The rooms are bookable at this rate until July 28, 2022 on a first come, first served basis. We cannot guarantee reservations at these prices or any reservations at all after this date.
- studio apartment for single use: 104 € (incl. breakfast)
- studio apartment for double use: 117 € (incl. breakfast)
breakfast is included in the room price
Booking code: PicoQuant WS 27
Please book your room by e-mail, phone or fax using the booking code PicoQuant WS 27
The rooms are bookable at this rate until July 26, 2022. We can not guarantee any reservations at these prices or any reservation at all after this date.
- single room: 109 € (incl. breakfast)
- double room: 128 € (incl. breakfast)
Wireless LAN is included in the room price.
Booking code: Workshop
Please book your room via e-mail using the booking code.
If you do not wish to have breakfast included, please inform the hotel when making your reservation.
The rooms are bookable at this rate until July 15, 2022 on a first come, first served basis. We cannot guarantee reservations at these prices or any reservations at all after this date.
Within this tab, we will provide information on the CoVID-19 situation in Germany and its effect on the Single Molecule Workshop. We will continuously update the information provided on this page. So make sure to regularly check for changes.
Conditions for in-person participation
Based on the currently valid SARS-CoV-2 Infection Protection Measures of the city of Berlin, workshop partcipation is only possible for persons that can provide proof of either having:
- been fully vaccinated against Covid-19 with a vaccine approved by the European Union (refer to the link for a list of currently approved vaccines), or
- completely recovered from a SARS-CoV-2 infection, or
- tested negative by either a point-of-care (PoC) antigen test not older than 24 hours or a current PCR test not older than 48 hours
Please prove your status by showing an appropriate document (either in digital or paper form) during the registration. Note: if you are not fully vaccinated or recovered you need to provide an offical negative test result every day.
Please contact us early in advance if you have any questions regarding the proof of your status. Please understand that during the registration process there will be no time to discuss this matter any further.
More details on the hygiene measures implemented at the venue will follow in September.
Information on travel to Germany
Due to the pandemic, international travel has become quite a bit more complicated. You can find the currently applicable rules for travelling to Germany by following the links below. One thing that COVID-19 taught us is that rules can (and do) change quite quickly.
Be aware that when travelling from Germany back to your country, other rules, restrictions, and regulations will apply. Make sure to also regularly read up on the rules governing travel back to your country.
Remember: when travelling, stay informed and (above all) stay safe!
The workshop on "Single Molecule Spectroscopy and Ultra Sensitive Analysis in the Life Sciences" is an annual event since 1995. To get an impression of our Single Molecule Workshops have a look at the video below.
For a summary of each year's event, please select the year from the list below.
Thank you for registering for the Single Molecule Workshop!
An email with the supplied information has been sent to the provided address.×