Single Molecule Workshop
28th International Workshop on “Single Molecule Spectroscopy and Super-resolution Microscopy”
September 26 - 28, 2023, Berlin, Germany
Meet the single molecule community in Berlin!
The 28th edition of the Single Molecule Workshop will take place from September 26 – 28, 2023. We are looking forward to welcoming you in Berlin. Join us for an exciting and stimulating conference by either giving a talk, presenting a poster or even without any presentation. As always, we will be awarding a “Best Student Talk” prize worth 750 Euro.
Aim and purpose
The focus of PicoQuant’s long-standing workshop lies on ultrasensitive optical detection down to the single molecule level as well as beyond the classical diffraction limit. The event provides an interdisciplinary platform for exchanging ideas and recent results between researchers and professionals working in the fields of physics, chemistry, biology, life and materials science.
During the workshop, talks and posters are presented that cover a wide range of applications and methods revolving around the challenging field of Single Molecule Spectroscopy.
Covered topics include:
- Fluorescence Lifetime Imaging (FLIM)
- Single molecule Förster Resonance Energy Transfer (smFRET)
- Polarization and Anisotropy based techniques
- Quantitative imaging methods
- New fluorescence sensors and labeling schemes
- Fluorescence Correlation Spectroscopy (FCS) and Fluorescence Lifetime Correlation Spectroscopy (FLCS)
- Stimulated Emission Depletion (STED) microscopy
- Single Molecule Localization Microscopy (e.g., PALM, STORM, dSTORM, GSDIM, PAINT)
- Open source data analysis solutions
- Big Data and Machine Learning approaches to superresolution and single molecule techniques
Both widefield and confocal fluorescence microscopy techniques are covered as well as in vivo and in vitro measurements with single molecule sensitivity.
- Deadline for abstract submission: July 14, 2023
- Deadline for early bird registration: July 14, 2023
- Deadline for fee waiver application: July 14, 2023
- Final deadline for workshop registration: August 25, 2023
- Notification on acceptance of abstracts: August 2023
- Program available: August 2023
As nurturing young scientists is important to PicoQuant, we host a competition for the “Best Student Talk” with an award worth 750 Euro. Undergraduate and graduate students are invited to submit their contributions until July 14, 2023. Please indicate during abstract submission if you wish to participate in the contest (abstract submission will be open soon).
Next workshop (preliminary dates)
- September 3-5, 2024 or October 8-10, 2024
Workshop coordinator: Claudia Bergemann
Invited speakers and preliminary presentation titles
- Victoria Birkedal
Aarhus University, Denmark
"Conformational dynamics of G-rich DNA helicase roadblocks by single molecule FRET"
- Scott Blanchard
St. Jude Research, USA
"Progress and challenges towards establishing direct links between single-molecule FRET and static three-dimensional structural information"
- Johannes Broichhagen
Leibniz-FMP Berlin, Germany
"Optimizing dyes and conjugates for modern microscopy"
- Katrin Heinze
Julius-Maximilians-University Würzburg, Germany
"Unraveling fast GPCR mobility and binding: A multidimensional fluorescence approach"
- Ralf Jungmann
Max-Planck-Institute of Biochemistry, Germany
"Localizomics: spatial omics using DNA-based super-resolution microscopy"
- Madhavi Krishnan
University of Oxford, UK
"Bringing electrostatics to light: Electrometry probes a new dimension at the molecular scale"
- Sudipta Maiti
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, India
"Understanding oligomers in the membrane: molecule by molecule"
- Bidyut Sarkar
"Resolving structure-dynamics-function relationship of a noncoding RNA with a microsecond time resolution using 2D fluorescence lifetime correlation spectroscopy"
- Sonja Schmid
Wageningen University, The Netherlands
"The timing of life at the nanoscale"
- Paul Wisemann
McGill University, Canada
"Digging deeper into the molecular noise: data mining STED super-resolution images using image correlation methods"
The program will be available in August 2023.
Abstract submission is open. We look forward to receiving your abstracts, with a deadline of July 14, 2023.
- Abstracts can be submitted for contributed talks and/or poster presentations.
- Abstracts can only be submitted along with a registration for the workshop.
- Abstracts must be submitted in English and be no longer than 200 words (body text) with no graphics.
- Post deadline abstracts may be considered for poster presentations only (not for oral presentations) and are subject to availability.
- Abstracts will be made available to workshop participants through the online program overview and the abstract book. If you do not want to have your abstract displayed in the online program overview, please please indicate so during the registration process.
- Notification on acceptance of abstracts will occur in August 2023.
|until July 14, 2023||July 15 until August 25, 2023|
|Academic/University||390 €||440 €|
|Industry and Private Sector||750 €||950 €|
Besides full workshop attendance, the fee includes coffee breaks, a reception with food and drinks, and two lunches. Attendees will be responsible for their own travel, lodging, and additional meals.
PicoQuant has a fee waiver program for a small number of participants from universities or academic sector. Accommodation, travel, and personal expenses still need to be paid by the participants themselves. The selection of sponsored people is completely the sole decision of PicoQuant and there is no right or guarantee to receive a fee waiver.
To apply for a fee waiver, please send us your application:
- a letter of application and
- a formal letter of recommendation from your department/institute
Deadline for a fee waiver application is July 14, 2023.
Please note that only one person per research group can be considered for a fee waiver.
Registration and abstract submission
The workshop will be held in the science and technology park of Berlin-Adlershof, located in the south-eastern part of Berlin, not far from the BER Airport.
Carl-Scheele-Straße 6 / Max-Born-Straße
Local area map showing the symposium location (red marker)
We have negotiated special rates for a limited number of rooms located close to the workshop location. The number of rooms as well as booking time are limited and we therefore advise to reserve your room as soon as possible.
Hotels within walking distance to the workshop location
Erich-Thilo-Straße 3, 12489 Berlin
Website of the apartment house
- single room: 85 € (excl. breakfast)
- double room: 102 € (excl. breakfast)
Breakfast is available at the hotel‘s catering partners in walking distance. It can be booked directly through the hotel.
Wireless LAN is included in the room price.
Booking code: 28.PicoQuant Workshop
Please book your room via e-mail or phone using the booking code.
The rooms are bookable at this rate until Septemer 8, 2023 on a first come, first served basis. We cannot guarantee reservations at these prices or any reservations at all after this date.
Terms and Conditions
Payment and Cancellations
- After online registration, you will receive an email notification including a PDF file that includes information on the payment procedure.
- All payments have to be received within 14 days after date of registration.
- We will send an email confirming your participation once we have received your payment. If payment is overdue, your registration will not be processed and will be considered invalid.
- A payment receipt will be included in our email confirmation of participation.
- Cancellation of registration must be submitted in writing or via email and is valid only with acknowledgment of receipt by PicoQuant GmbH. A refund of registration fees is dependent on the notice given:
- For cancellations made until August 25, 2023, 75 % of the received registration fee will be reimbursed. In case of cancellations after August 25, 2023, 25 % of the registration fee will be reimbursed.
- It is possible to name and send a substitute participant.
- No visa letters will be issued until payment of the registration fee is received and confirmed.
- Schedule and content of this event are subject to change without notice.
- PicoQuant records photographs and video material of participants at the events. By registering for a PicoQuant event, you agree that we may include images of yourself (either as a full image or in parts) for promotional purposes in various publications (press releases, promotional activities, event website, etc.). This material may also appear on our internet web page or on related social media pages. If you do not want us to use pictures in which you appear, please inform us in written form until the end of the workshop.
- We may also share personal information of event attendees (e.g. in the book of abstracts or in a contact list) with the other persons attending the same event to enable attendees to contact each other prior to, during or after the event for networking purposes.
Cancellation of registration by PicoQuant due to force majeure
Any circumstances beyond the reasonable control of PicoQuant, including but not limited to acts of nature, fire, severe thunderstorm, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, terror, threats, pandemics, local or international health crises, security/safety risks or flooding shall constitute “force majeure”. If the force majeure is affecting a PicoQuant event, PicoQuant will notify the participants of such event without undue delay.
When PicoQuant is subject to force majeure, it shall be released from the performance of its obligations relating to any events (partially or wholly) to the extent that such performance is affected by the force majeure.
PicoQuant may take reasonable steps to minimize the consequences of the force majeure on its events and is entitled to reschedule or shorten (in all cases partially or wholly) an event and any performance related to such event.
For termination of contract concerning an event between PicoQuant and the participant due to force majeure, this shall be without any liability for either party, except in so far as has accrued prior to the date on which the termination of the contract takes effect.
Each party to the contract concerning the event (PicoQuant and the participant) shall itself be responsible for all direct and indirect financial consequences affecting it as a result of or in connection with the force majeure. The occurrence of force majeure shall not entitle either party to any additional payment or compensation.
Code of conduct
The open exchange of ideas and freedom of thought and expression across different fields of research are central to the aims and goals of the Single Molecule Workshop. These require an environment that recognizes the inherent worth of every person and group, that fosters dignity, understanding, mutual respect, and embraces diversity. For these reasons, the Single Molecule Wokrshop organizers are committed to providing a harassment-free course experience.
If you experience harassment or discriminatory behavior at the Single Molecule Workshop, we encourage you to reach out to us for help.
Participants who violate this code may be sanctioned and/or expelled from the event, at the discretion of the organizers. Serious incidents may be referred to the Single Molecule Workshop organizers for further possible action.
If you witness harassment or discriminatory behavior, please consider intervening.
To encourage open communication, each member of a PicoQuant event agrees that any information presented at a PicoQuant event (workshop, course, symposium,etc.) , whether in a formal talk, poster session, or discussion, is a private communication from the individual making the contribution and is presented with the restriction that such information is not for public use.
Prior to quoting or publishing any such information presented at a conference in any publication, written or electronic, written approval of the contributing member must first be obtained. The audio or video recording of lectures by any means, the photography of slide or poster material, and printed or electronic quotes from papers, presentations and discussion at a conference without written consent of the contributing member is prohibited. Scientific publications are not to be prepared as emanating from the conferences. Authors are requested to omit references to the conferences in any publication, written or electronic. These restrictions apply to each member of a conference and are intended to cover social networks, blogs, tweets or any other publication, distribution, communication or sharing of information presented or discussed at the conference.
Guests are not permitted to attend the conference lectures, or poster sessions. Each member of a conference acknowledges and agrees to these restrictions when registration is accepted and as a condition of being permitted to attend a conference.
Although PicoQuant staff will take reasonable steps to enforce the restrictions against recording and photographing conference presentations, each member of a conference assumes sole responsibility for the protection and preservation of any intellectual property rights in such member's contributions to a conference.
The workshop on "Single Molecule Spectroscopy and Ultra Sensitive Analysis in the Life Sciences" is an annual event since 1995. To get an impression of our Single Molecule Workshops have a look at the video below.
For a summary of each year's event, please select the year from the list below.
Thank you for registering for the Single Molecule Workshop!
An email with the supplied information has been sent to the provided address.×