12th European short course on
"Principles and Applications of Time-resolved Fluorescence Spectroscopy"
November 3-6, 2014 in Berlin, Germany
This course is held in cooperation with Prof. J.R. Lakowicz from the Center for Fluorescence Spectroscopy & the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Aim and purpose
The course is intended for individuals wishing an in-depth introduction to the principles of fluorescence spectroscopy and its applications to the Life Sciences. Attendees are typically professionals who are using or intend to use fluorescence in their research. Most attendees have some knowledge of fluorescence, typically in a specialized area. However, individuals from totally different research areas and from industry get the opportunity to enter this exciting field in a very effective way and will especially benefit from the experimental section.
The course consists of lectures and experimentations include steady-state and time-resolved experiments as well as data analysis, performed on various instruments provided by market leading companies.
The lectures on Monday and Tuesday will deal with basics of steady-state and time-resolved fluorescence spectroscopy, instrumentation and data analysis. They cover time-domain and frequency-domain measurements, anisotropy, solvent effects, quenching and Förster Resonance Energy Transfer (FRET).
On Wednesday and Thursday, the lectures cover advanced time-resolved fluorescence topics and data analysis. Applications of fluorescence in biophysics, sensing, plasmon controlled fluorescence or material science are presented along with an introduction to fluorescence microscopy.
The practical sessions (November 4-6) including steady-state and time-resolved experimentation as well as data analysis are offered on various instruments provided by market leading companies.
- Cary Eclipse - a steady-state fluorescence spectrophotometer
- Cary 60 - a steady-state UV-Vis spectrophotometer
- FluoTime 100 - a compact fluorescence lifetime spectrometer
- FluoTime 200 - a modular fluorescence lifetime spectrometer
- FluoTime 300 - an automated fluorescence lifetime spectrometer
- FluoFit - a global fluorescence decay data analysis software
- MicroTime 200 - a time-resolved confocal fluorescence microscope
- Deadline for early bird registration: July 18, 2014
- Deadline for course registration: September 12, 2014
- Deadline for early bird registration: July 19
- Deadline for course registration: September 9
- Hotel reservation: October 2
Information and correspondence
Course coordinator: Jana Rudolph
Rudower Chaussee 29 (IGZ)
12489 Berlin, Germany
- Joseph R. Lakowicz, Professor of Biochemistry and Director of the Center for Fluorescence Spectroscopy
- Zygmunt "Karol" Gryczynski, Professor at Department of Physics and Astronomy at the Texas Christian University
- Rainer Erdmann, Managing Director of the R&D company PicoQuant GmbH and specialist in ultrasensitive fluorescence analysis
- Felix Koberling, Senior Scientist at PicoQuant GmbH and specialist in time-resolved fluorescence microscopy applications and instrumentation
- Matthias Patting, Senior Scientist at PicoQuant GmbH and specialist in software design for Time-Correlated Single Photon Counting (TCSPC) instrumentation
- Michael Wahl, Senior Scientist at PicoQuant GmbH and specialist in instrumentation for Time-Correlated Single Photon Counting (TCSPC)
The list of instructors is subject to changes.
The 12th course will be held in Berlin-Adlershof, located in the south-east of Berlin. The local area map below shows the course location.
The 12th course will be held in the "Max-Born-Saal" in Berlin-Adlershof, located in the south-east of Berlin. The local area map below shows the course location (blue mark) and hotels (green mark).
The time schedule of the course will be available in May 2014.
The time schedule of the course is also available for download.
Joseph R. Lakowicz
Biophysical Applications and Time-resolved Fluorescence
Joseph R. Lakowicz
Advanced Topic: Plasmon-controlled Fluorescence
Introduction to Fluorescence Microscopy Techniques
Welcome and Introduction
Change Buildings and Coffee Break
Instrumentation for Time-resolved Fluorescence Measurements (2)
Computational Aspects of TCSPC Data Analysis
Hands-on Experiments (5)
Lunch Break and End of Course
Practical TCSPC Data Analysis
Zygmunt “Karol” Gryczynski
Analytical Applications of Fluorescence
Introduction to Hands-on Experiments
Hands-on Experiments (3)
Instrumentation for Time-Resolved Fluorescence Measurements (1)
Hands-on Experiments (1)
|17:00 - 18:30
Hands-on Experiments (4)
15:45 - 17:30
|16:30 - 18:00
Hands-on Experiments (2)
The time schedule of the course will be available in May 2014.
|before July 18||July 19 until September 12|
|Academic / University||700 €||850 €|
|Industry and Private Sector||1400 €||1600 €|
Besides full course attendance, the fee includes all coffee breaks, 1 reception, 1 dinner, daily lunch, course materials and the use of instruments. Attendees will be responsible for their own travel, lodging and meals.
Please note the terms and conditions for payment.
- For payment you can choose between credit card (Visa, Master Card) and bank transfer. Possible bank charges have to be paid by the participant. Please note, that we do not accept checks.
- After online registration, you will receive an email notification including a PDF file that includes information on the payment procedure.
- In order to take advantage of the early bird rate (deadline: July 18, 2014), payments have to be received by July 25, 2014.
- All other payments have to be received within 14 days after date of registration.
- We will send an email confirming your participation once we have received your payment. If payment is overdue, your registration will not be processed and considered invalid.
- A receipt of payment will be included in our email confirmation of participation.
- Cancellation of registration must be submitted in writing or via email and is valid only with acknowledgment of receipt by PicoQuant GmbH. A refund of registration fees is dependent on the notice given:
- For cancellations made until September 12, 2014, 75 % of the received registration fee will be reimbursed. In case of cancellations after September 12, 2014, 25 % of the registration fee will be reimbursed.
- It is possible to name and send a substitute participant.
- No visa letters will be issued until payment of the registration fee is received and confirmed.
As in the previous years, PicoQuant will grant a fee waiver to a few participants from the university and academic sector of economically less privileged countries. Accomodation, travel and personal expenses still need to be paid by the participants themselves. The selection of sponsored people is completely the sole decision of PicoQuant and there is no right or guarantee to receive a fee waiver.
Deadline for fee waiver applications is July 18.
The deadline to apply for a fee waiver has passed. We can no longer accept applications.
We have negotiated special rates for a limited number of rooms in two local hotels which are in walking distance to the course location. Please note that the number of rooms and the booking time are limited and we therefore advise to reserve your room as soon as possible.
Please note that since the beginning of the year 2014, tourists staying overnight in Berlin are subject to paying an accommodation tax, the so-called City Tax. It amounts to five percent of the room rate (net price), excluding VAT and fees for amenities and services such as mini-bar, sauna, or spa area. The City Tax does only affect private overnight stays and NOT business travellers. The business purpose of a trip can be verified by a bill that is paid by or issued to the employer, or a letter from the company. If the accommodation is booked by the employer in the first place, there is no further proof necessary.
Also see the information at www.berlin.de.
We will negotiate special rates for the course participants with some hotels. The contact information and prices will be listed on this website in May 2014.
- single room: 63 € (excl. breakfast)
- double room: 78 € (excl. breakfast)
- breakfast: 12 € per day and person
Booking code: PicoQuant Spektroskopiekurs
Please use the booking form to reserve a room. Note that the rooms must be booked for at least two nights.
The rooms are bookable at this rate until October 15, 2014. We can not guarantee any reservations to these prices or any reservation at all after this date.
- single room: 85 € (incl. breakfast)
- double room: 111 € (incl. breakfast)
wireless LAN is included in the room price
Booking code: Spektroskopiekurs
Please contact the hotel via phone, fax, or email to book a room. If you do not wish to have breakfast included, please inform the hotel when making your resevation.
The rooms are bookable at this rate until October 4, 2014. We can not guarantee any reservations to these prices or any reservation at all after this date.
Thank you for registering for the Fluorescence Course!
An email with the supplied information has been sent to the provided address.×