13th European short course on
“Principles and Applications of Time-resolved Fluorescence Spectroscopy”
2-5 November 2015 in Berlin, Germany
This course is held in cooperation with Prof. J.R. Lakowicz from the Center for Fluorescence Spectroscopy & the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Aim and purpose
The course is intended for individuals wishing an in-depth introduction to the principles of fluorescence spectroscopy and its applications to the Life Sciences. Attendees are typically professionals who are using or intend to use fluorescence in their research. Most attendees have some knowledge of fluorescence, typically in a specialized area. However, individuals from totally different research areas and from industry get the opportunity to enter this exciting field in a very effective way and will especially benefit from the experimental section.
The course consists of lectures and experimentations include steady-state and time-resolved experiments as well as data analysis, performed on various instruments provided by market leading companies.
The lectures on Monday and Tuesday will deal with basics of steady-state and time-resolved fluorescence spectroscopy, instrumentation and data analysis. They cover time-domain and frequency-domain measurements, anisotropy, solvent effects, quenching and Förster Resonance Energy Transfer (FRET).
On Wednesday and Thursday, the lectures cover advanced time-resolved fluorescence topics and data analysis. Applications of fluorescence in biophysics, sensing, plasmon controlled fluorescence or material science are presented along with an introduction to fluorescence microscopy.
The practical sessions including steady-state and time-resolved experimentation as well as data analysis are offered on various instruments provided by market leading companies.
- Cary Eclipse - a steady-state fluorescence spectrophotometer
- Cary 60 - a steady-state UV-Vis spectrophotometer
- FluoTime 100 - a compact fluorescence lifetime spectrometer
- FluoTime 200 - a modular fluorescence lifetime spectrometer
- FluoTime 300 - an automated fluorescence lifetime spectrometer
- FluoFit - a global fluorescence decay data analysis software
- MicroTime 200 - a time-resolved confocal fluorescence microscope
- Registration opens in May 2015
- Deadline for early bird registration: July 15, 2015
- Deadline for course registration: September 10, 2015
- Deadline for early bird registration: July 19
- Deadline for course registration: September 9
- Hotel reservation: October 2
Information and correspondence
Course coordinator: Nicole Bornemann
Rudower Chaussee 29 (IGZ)
12489 Berlin, Germany
- Joseph R. Lakowicz, Professor of Biochemistry and Director of the Center for Fluorescence Spectroscopy
- Zygmunt "Karol" Gryczynski, Professor at Department of Physics and Astronomy at the Texas Christian University
- Rainer Erdmann, Managing Director of the R&D company PicoQuant GmbH and specialist in ultrasensitive fluorescence analysis
- Felix Koberling, Senior Scientist at PicoQuant GmbH and specialist in time-resolved fluorescence microscopy applications and instrumentation
- Matthias Patting, Senior Scientist at PicoQuant GmbH and specialist in software design for Time-Correlated Single Photon Counting (TCSPC) instrumentation
- Michael Wahl, Senior Scientist at PicoQuant GmbH and specialist in instrumentation for Time-Correlated Single Photon Counting (TCSPC)
The list of instructors is subject to changes.
The 13th course will be held in Berlin-Adlershof, located in the south-east of Berlin. The local area map below shows the course location.
The 12th course will be held in the "Max-Born-Saal" in Berlin-Adlershof, located in the south-east of Berlin. The local area map below shows the course location (blue mark) and hotels (green mark).
The schedule will be available in May 2015.
Registration opens in May 2015.
If you wish to receive an information by email when the regististration opens let us know and we will add you to the mailing list.
Course coordinator: Nicole Bornemann
We will negotiate special rates for the course participants with some hotels. The contact information and prices will be listed on this website in May 2015.
We have negotiated special rates for a limited number of rooms in two local hotels which are in walking distance to the course location. Please note that the number of rooms and the booking time are limited and we therefore advise to reserve your room as soon as possible.
Please note that since the beginning of the year 2014, tourists staying overnight in Berlin are subject to paying an accommodation tax, the so-called City Tax. It amounts to five percent of the room rate (net price), excluding VAT and fees for amenities and services such as mini-bar, sauna, or spa area. The City Tax does only affect private overnight stays and NOT business travellers. The business purpose of a trip can be verified by a bill that is paid by or issued to the employer, or a letter from the company. If the accommodation is booked by the employer in the first place, there is no further proof necessary.
Also see the information at www.berlin.de.
- single room: 63 € (excl. breakfast)
- double room: 78 € (excl. breakfast)
- breakfast: 12 € per day and person
Booking code: PicoQuant Spektroskopie
Please use the booking form to reserve a room. Note that the rooms must be booked for at least two nights.
The rooms are bookable at this rate until October 16, 2015. We can not guarantee any reservations to these prices or any reservation at all after this date.
- single room: 85 € (incl. breakfast)
- double room: 111 € (incl. breakfast)
wireless LAN is included in the room price
Booking code: Spektroskopiekurs
Please contact the hotel via phone, fax, or email to book a room. If you do not wish to have breakfast included, please inform the hotel when making your resevation.
The rooms are bookable at this rate until October 4, 2014. We can not guarantee any reservations to these prices or any reservation at all after this date.
Thank you for registering for the Fluorescence Course!
An email with the supplied information has been sent to the provided address.×