International Symposium on
“Single Photon based Quantum Technologies”
May 30-June 1, 2018 in Berlin, Germany
Join our symposium by giving a talk, presenting a poster, or without any presentation. We especially encourage young scientists to present their work with an oral presentation. A special prize will be awarded for the “Best Student Talk”.
Aim and Purpose
About a century ago, the theory of quantum mechanics was born. By virtue of its extraordinary explanatory power this theory has not only dramatically changed to the way we see the world, but also led to a first quantum revolution that has brought us groundbreaking new technologies such as the transistor, solid-state lighting, lasers, and GPS.
Today, we are paving the way for a second revolution. With quantum theory now fully established, we are beginning to look at the world in a fundamentally new way: objects can be in different states at the same time ("superposition") and can be deeply connected without any direct physical interaction ("entanglement"). By way of breathtaking advances in creating and manipulating dedicated entangled and/or superimposed quantum states, new technologies will emerge that promise to change our society in the next 5-20 years through revolutionary methods in imaging, sensing, communication, simulation and computation. However, in many of the related research fields, we are still at the beginning of transferring theory into technology.
The purpose of this symposium is therefore to provide an interdisciplinary platform for the exchange of experience and information as well as sharing recent findings in the field of single photon based quantum technologies. The symposium will cover a rather broad range of topics, since “single photons” are one important basis for many quantum technologies, such as single-photon detectors and sources, metrology and sensing, correlations and entanglement, communication and QKD, information processing, or integrated photonic quantum circuits.
- Oliver Benson (HU Berlin, Germany)
- Stefan Kück (PTB Braunschweig, Germany)
- Stefan Reitzenstein (TU Berlin, Germany)
- Franco N.C. Wong (MIT, USA)
- Jörg Wrachtrup (University of Stuttgart, Germany)
- Val Zwiller (TU Delft, The Netherlands)
- Andreas Bülter (PicoQuant, Germany)
Since “single photons” are one important basis for many quantum technologies, the symposium will cover a rather broad range of topics, such as:
- Single-photon detectors
- Single-photon sources
- Quantum metrology
- Quantum correlations and entanglement
- Quantum information processing
- Quantum communication and QKD
- Quantum sensing
- Integrated photonic quantum circuits
Abstract submission for both oral and poster presentations is now closed.
The deadline for abstract submission is May 31, 2017. Post deadline abstracts may not be considered.
Abstract submission will open in October 2017. The deadline for abstract submission is February 5, 2018. Post deadline abstracts may not be considered.
Abstract submission for oral presentations is closed. Abstracts for post deadline poster presentations can still be submitted until August 15, 2016.
Please contact us via email if you are interested in presenting a poster at the symposium.
- Abstracts can be submitted for oral or poster presentation. Depending on the number of received abstracts, some oral presentations may be changed to a poster presentation.
- Abstracts can only be submitted along with the registration for the workshop.
- Abstracts must be submitted in English containing not more than 200 words and no graphics.
PicoQuant especially wants to encourage young scientists to present their work. Therefore, the “Best Student Talk” will be awarded with a special prize of 750 Euro.
Undergraduate and graduate students are invited to submit their contributions until May 31, 2017. Please indicate during the registration/abstract submission if you wish to participate in the contest.
Important dates (to be adapted)
- Deadline for submission of abstracts: February 5, 2018
- Deadline for early bird registration: February 5, 2018
- Final deadline for symposium registration: April 30, 2018
- Notification on acceptance of abstracts: early March 2018
- Program available: mid/end March 2018
- Deadline for submission of abstracts for post-deadline posters: August 15, 2017
Symposium coordinator: Kerstin Wicht
Please note: schedule and content of this event is subject to change without notice.
Invited speakers and their tentative titles
The list of speakers will be announced at a later date.
- Ivo P. Degiovanni (INRIM, Italy)
"Quantum Metrology vs. Quantum Enhanced Measurements (with Photons)"
- Mark Fox (University of Sheffield, UK)
"On-chip quantum photonics with integrated quantum-dot single-photon sources"
- David Gershoni (Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Israel)
"Deterministic generation of a cluster state of entangled photons, using semiconductor quantum dots"
- Ronald Hanson (TU Delft, The Netherlands)
- Wolfram Pernice (University Münster, Germany)
"Waveguide integrated single photon detectors"
- Andrew Shields (Toshiba Research Europe Ltd., UK)
"Quantum Communications based on Semiconductor Devices"
- Christine Silberhorn (University Paderborn, Germany)
"Integrated Quantum Optics"
- Varun Verma (NIST, USA)
"Progress in single photon imaging from the UV to the mid infrared using superconducting nanowire detectors"
- Ian Walmsley (University of Oxford, UK)
"Photonic quantum networks: a ubiquitous platform for quantum technologies"
- Ronald Walsworth (Harvard University, USA)
"Nanoscale magnetic imaging using quantum defects in diamond"
The workshop will be held in Berlin-Adlershof. Details will be announced at a later date.
The symposium will be held in the "Max-Born-Saal" in Berlin-Adlershof, located in the south-east of Berlin.
Local area map showing the symposium location (red marker)
The program consists of invited and contributed oral presentations, as well as poster presentations.
The schedule will be published online mid/end of March 2018.
We have received an overwhelming large amount of abstracts for talks and posters. We thank all particpants for their contribution.
The originally planned schedule did unfortunately not allow to accept all submitted abstracts for talks. We therefore included four "flash talk" sessions into the program. A flash talk offers with a maximum of 4-5 transparencies and 4 minutes a way to highlight a poster. There will also be no questions during the flash talks as there will be plenty of time for questioning and discussions at the poster session that follows the flash talks on the same day.
The registration will open soon.
The registration is closed. If you are still interested to participate, please contact us via email.
Registration opens in October 2017.
The fee structure as well as terms and conditions for payment will be released at a later date.
|Until February 5, 2018||February 6, 2018 until April 30, 2018|
|Academic/University||300 €||350 €|
|Industry and Private Sector||750 €||900 €|
Besides full symposium attendance, the fee includes all coffee breaks, a reception with free food and drinks, three lunches, and an abstract book. Attendees will be responsible for their own travel, lodging, and meals.
Please note the terms and conditions
- For payment you can choose between credit card (Visa, Master Card) and bank transfer. Possible bank charges have to be paid by the participant. Please note, that we do not accept checks.
- After online registration, you will receive an email notification including a PDF file that includes information on the payment procedure.
- In order to take advantage of the early bird rate (registration deadline: February 5, 2018), payments have to be received by February 12, 2018.
- All other payments have to be received within 14 days after date of registration.
- We will send an email confirming your participation once we have received your payment. If payment is overdue, your registration will not be processed and considered invalid.
- A receipt of payment will be included in our email confirmation of participation.
- Cancellation of registration must be submitted in writing or via email and is valid only with acknowledgment of receipt by PicoQuant GmbH. A refund of registration fees is dependent on the notice given:
- For cancellations made until April 30, 2018, 75 % of the received registration fee will be reimbursed. In case of cancellations after April 30, 2018, 25 % of the registration fee will be reimbursed.
- It is possible to name and send a substitute participant.
- No visa letters will be issued until payment of the registration fee is received and confirmed.
- Schedule and content of this event is subject to change without notice.
- PicoQuant records photographs and video material of participants at the events. By registering for a PicoQuant event, you agree that we may include images of yourself (either as a full image or in parts) for promotional purposes (press releases, event website, etc.). If you do not want us to use pictures in which you appear, please inform us in written form.
PicoQuant will grant a fee waiver to a few participants from the university and academic sector of economically less privileged countries. Accommodation, travel, and personal expenses still need to be paid by the participants themselves. The selection of sponsored people is completely the sole decision of PicoQuant and there is no right or guarantee to receive a fee waiver.
To apply for a fee waiver, please send us your application:
- a letter of application and
- a formal letter of recommendation from your department/institute
Deadline for a fee waiver application is February 5, 2018.
Please note that only one person per research group can be considered for a fee waiver.
Details on the fee waiver application process will be published at a later date.
The deadline to apply for a fee waiver has passed. We can no longer accept any fee waiver applications.
Details about booking accommodations will be announced at a later date.
We have negotiated special rates for a limited number of rooms in several hotels/appartment block located close to the workshop location. The number of rooms as well as booking time are limited and we therefore advise to reserve your room as soon as possible.
Please note that since the beginning of the year 2014, tourists staying overnight in Berlin are subject to paying an accommodation tax, the so-called City Tax. It amounts to five percent of the room rate (net price), excluding VAT and fees for amenities and services such as mini-bar, sauna, or spa area. The City Tax does only affect private overnight stays and NOT business travellers. The business purpose of a trip can be verified by a bill that is paid by or issued to the employer, or a letter from the company. If the accommodation is booked by the employer in the first place, there is no further proof necessary.
Also see the information at www.berlin.de
- single room: 63 € (excl. breakfast)
- double room: 78 € (excl. breakfast)
- breakfast: 13 € per day and person
Booking code: PicoQuant 23 Workshop.
Please use the booking form to reserve a room.
The rooms are bookable at this rate until August 23, 2017. We can not guarantee any reservations to these prices or any reservation at all after this date.
- single room: 69 € (excl. breakfast)
- double room: 90 € (excl. breakfast)
Guests can join the breakfast buffet at the ADAPT Hotel or in nearby hotels for a special price of 10-12.50 € per person and day.
Wireless LAN is included in the room price.
Please book your room via e-mail, using the booking code: WORKSHOPPICO
The rooms are bookable at this rate until July 13, 2017 on a first come, first served basis. We cannot guarantee reservations at these prices or any reservations at all after this date.
- single room: 82 € (incl. breakfast)
- double room: 110 € (incl. breakfast)
Wireless LAN is included in the room price.
Booking code: PicoQuant Workshop.
Please contact the Dorint Adlershof Berlin via phone, fax, or e-mail to book a room. If you do not wish to have breakfast included, please inform the hotel when making your reservation.
The rooms are bookable at this rate until August 16, 2017 on a first come, first served basis. We cannot guarantee reservations at these prices or any reservations at all after this date.
Thank you for registering for the Quantum Symposium!
An email with the supplied information has been sent to the provided address.×